Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chapter Three: A sign/ small piece of paper

Between Pioche in 2005 and March 2006 there isn’t much to tell, apart from a few random myspace comments here and there, oh yeah, and the sign from God Himself telling me to marry Omar, which I laughed at and totally ignored. See, we have leadership meetings every other Sunday for Young life (which was about how often Omar and I saw eachother).
One Sunday, sometime between August 2005 and January 2006, I was sitting at leadership, next to Whitney, and I was playing bible roulette. I am of the belief that this is a completely inaccurate way to determine God’s plan for your life, however, I prayed for him to show me “something about my future” as I randomly shuffled through my bible with my eyes closed. Expecting a verse in the old testament on not touching defiled sheep or something, I was shocked when I opened my bible to…..

the piece of paper with Omar’s name on it! (which I hadn’t seen since Pioche).

I laughed hysterically to myself, and told Whitney the story, to which she replied…

“HAHAHAHAHAHA! You have to marry Ooooomar!”


That night, I went up to Omar and told him that God wanted us to get married and explained the story to him. I think he mustered up a little chuckle and walked out of the room. It was very romantic. I do remember him saying, “Bye Whitney, Bye Wifey,” when he left.

But neither one of us were really phased by the whole ordeal.


australia, 2006

In that time, I went to Australia for a month, came home, and dated Omar’s childhood best friend and neighbor of 16 years, Jon. Jon is a nice guy with good morals and exquisite dental hygiene, and we dated for four months. Its probably important to point out that Jon is one of the coolest, most Jesus loving guys I know and he also happens to only be attracted to men. That put a damper on our relationship.

Jon and I, February 2006

Once we broke up in April, I took a vow to myself and God not to date. At all. And for the first time in my life, I was completely content with my relationship with God and found so much joy in just being His child. In June I went to Young Life camp for the first time and had one of the most life changing experiences of my life. And something, apparently, happened to Omar too.

Because when I got home, I found a, riveting, beautifully written, ultra-romantic, comment on my myspace from him…




to be continued...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have me hooked...I love love stories.

Chelsea said...

What did the comment say, what did it say! I hate cliff hangers!