Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chapter Seven: Happiness is a wheel in your sole

On July 5th, Whitney, our good friend, Tommy, and I were holding Ultimate Heely Training by using carts and the flat ground at Walmart. I hadn’t talked to Omar at all. To be honest, I hadn’t thought much about him and did not know the next time I would see him. My phone rang around ten o’clock that night while Whitney and I were still Heelying through the aisles. Much to my surprise, it was Omar. And, he asked to talk to Whitney. From the other end I heard a lot of “no way” and “uh huh” “uh huh” and finally, “see you soon.”
WHAT?!?!?

My first thought was that I did not look my best, by any means. Secondly, I still did not want to date, and Omar’s presence in my life was making that exceedingly more difficult because I had always thought him to be somewhat charming and extremely good looking. So, I was infuriated when Whitney told me that she had invited him to join us. In fact, I mildly freaked out until he called again saying that he was in the parking lot and would be inside in a few minutes. A few seconds later, Omar glided down the Barbie aisle in his brand new Heelys and took my tomato-red face in his hands.
“I told you I would get Heelys”
our Heelys, 2006

I found out later on that he had left the 4th of July party the night before, gone home, and bought a pair of Heelys for $180.00 and had them overnight delivered. I was shocked and amazed, because my number one qualification for my future husband had just been met:
A man who does what he says he will do.

Afterwards, we invited Omar to join us at Tommy's house for a movie. On the way there Whitney found one of these wonderful inventions in my car:
nano pet, later known as "Vladimir," circo 2006

And Whitney, in all of her typical Whitney glory, had a brilliant idea,
"Lets make Omar take care of this for 20 days, and if he can keep it alive, you'll INTERLOCK FINGERS WITH HIM!"

So, we did. And he agreed to it. By the way, having a Nano pet to care for is like having a small child. It beeps when its hungry, when it poops, when its thirsty, and when it needs attention. It beeps in the middle of the night and all day long, and if it's needs arent met, it dies. And a dead Nano pet does not qualify you for finger-interlocking.

I let Omar hold my pinky for the rest of the night, in spite of my many reservations. Despite the fact that i've always thought Omar to be attractive, hilarious, and quite lovable, there were many things that I did not like about him. I thought the fancy, fast car that he drove was stupid. I hated the fact that he wanted to be a lawyer, which would obviously mean that he is money hungry. I really didnt like that he had pictures on his myspace from bars and clubs. I had an impression of who he was in my mind, and I was having a hard time differentiating between my opinion of him, his actions, and what was going on in my heart.

That night, Omar asked me to go on a date with him.

to be continued...

3 comments:

Lorene said...

holy crap i forgot all about nano pets until just now! i'm ready for the next chapter please... i MUST know where you went on your first date!

Nanis said...

I am waiting for the next chapter... Hurry!!!!!! Love you

Unknown said...

I hated them Nano pets - waiting for the next chapter! xxx.