Wednesday, December 17, 2008

an epic day

today is a day unlike any other day. a day where time almost stands still, as the world turns in ways it never has before. a day that is much, much, more than a snow day. more than the fact that there are 6 inches of snow in front of my las vegas home, and more than the fact that for the first time in my ENTIRE LIFE school is cancelled due to snow!!! no. today is much more than all of that.

today marks the 23rd anniversary of the day that one of my favorite people in the world inhaled the breath of life for the first time, and exhaled herself to a humanity whose expectations she far exceeded. the truth is, the day i met her, i hated her. which only lasted a year, because i moved to a far off place, and never intended to see her awful shortalls again. she mysteriously reappeared in my life several years later in the form of harriet the spy and best friend notebooks. we terrorized our world for two years, making the worst possible decisions we could have made, and having so much fun doing it. drunken escapades and promiscuous behavior coupled with boyfriends and kmart shopping sprees made for many adventures and memories, but would not compare to the years ahead. we drifted apart as our lives were reshaped by a God who knew EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS DOING. we were reunited once more, and weve never been apart sense.

my best friend, whitney, has brought more joy into my life than i ever thought possible. she has been my shoulder to cry on, the other end of the late night panic phone calls, the only human that has ever been there at every important event and every time my car overheated. she has taught me to discover every moment of life, how not to look at refrigerators like im in love with them, how to make smoothies and get the best deal at jason's deli. she has inspired me to paint, to love fully, to seek God's heart in every situation and to pray until something happens. she has supported me in every decision ive ever made, and has done everything in her power to bring joy to my life (like eating goldfish crackers off of the airplane floor). together we have discovered what is right and wrong, an absolute love for Jesus Christ, the beauty of human beings- especially kids with disabilities, how to treat people, how to be treated, how to get paid to hang out, and how to have a friendship that is fulfilling and completely authentic.

and its not just me. every person that has ever met my best friend has felt honored to be around her. her light is so bright and her heart is so big, that her body cannot contain the love that shares with people. she has changed my life, and will continue to do so for the next 23 years. i cant wait to see her life unfold, and i feel so beyond blessed to have been a part of it.

Happy 23rd Birthday to my best friend in the whole world. I'm sorry for the many, many, times I've stolen your chapstick. I love you.






2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Tear :(

Unknown said...

You just made me cry...I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!