Tuesday, January 20, 2009

a hinge-point in history

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.
-Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.


Yesterday was one of the few times in my young life where I was proud to be an American. I was never ashamed to be an American until I traveled the world and was automatically pegged to be a greedy, provocative, selfish, violent, ignorant human being. It is shocking to see how much of an influence our leaders and celebrities have on the opinion of outsiders. I do not agree that George Bush or the majority of America fit the stereotypes that have been given to us, but I also do not think that we have lived up to our title of a Christian nation.

There is an element of hope that comes with today. With yesterday. With tomorrow.

I am so excited to think that when my children are born, they will never know what my parents knew about racism and ignorance. They will be born into a country of diversity, where people with different skin colors respect, admire, and look out for eachother.

I met a man last night who stood at Martin Luther King's, "I have a dream" speech. He enjoyed it, and thought it was amazing. He had no idea what he was witnessing. He shared with us last night that history is not that historical in the making, it is nearly impossible to recognize the moment that will separate right now from eternity. And yet? It happens everyday. Everyday we are watching history being made. I have hope, and I am excited, and I am a little afraid, but I am positive that what happened yesterday can make or break our nation, that things will never be the same, and that change has ultimately come to America.


Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested, we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back, nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations.
-President Barack Obama



No comments: